Gaelic Football


Mr. Peter Elliott, a specialist GAA coach from St. Patrick's GAA comes to the school each Friday to conduct coaching in hurling and Gaelic football. 


Gaelic training and matches usually are held in the autumn. However this didn't happen this year due to Covid-19. 

Pupils from 5th & 6th Class usually compete.

Mr. Graydon & Ms. McLoughlin normally coach the students along with coaches from St. Patrick's GAA Club. 

Take a look below at some previous reports on the matches we played in 2019. They're written by some of our past pupils. 


St. Lorcan’s 1st match was against Scoil Mhuire, Lucan. Lorcan’s started off strong against Lucan. St. Lorcan’s dominated the first half, scoring two goals and two points to Lucan’s two points. Lorcan’s never let the intensity drop and kept pushing on. Lucan got back into the game by scoring three goals and one point but Lorcan’s replied by scoring three goals and two points. In the end, the boys were delighted with the win and so were Mr. Graydon and Ms. McLoughlin. The final score was five goals and four points to Lorcan’s and Lucan’s score was three goals and three points.


Written by Ciarán Deegan and Aaron McMahon


St. Lorcan’s 2nd match was against Gaelscoil Clondalkin. Lorcan’s knew that they would be tougher and stronger than Lucan. Aaron McMahon opened the scoring for Lorcan’s with a ball over the top and put into the bottom corner. Lorcan’s scored another two goals before Gaelscoil Clondalkin’s first point. Mr. Graydon and Ms. McLoughlin told us to keep pushing on and don’t let them back into the game. However, Gaelscoil Clondalkin came back into the game by scoring two goals and a point. St. Lorcan’s scored another two points with Ciarán Deegan and Daragh Garrigan scoring a point each but the game wasn’t over because Gaelscoil Clondalkin scored a late goal to equal the points. Lorcan’s were pushing to get at least a point when Jack O’ Dwyre scored a late point to win the game for Lorcan’s. When the referee blew the whistle to end the match Lorcan’s were ecstatic that they’ve won two in a row! Lorcan’s knew that they needed one more win to go to the quarter finals. All the boys went home with no homework. The final score was three goals and three points to Lorcan’s and Gaelscoil Clondalkin’s three goals and two points.


Written by Ciarán Deegan and Aaron McMahon


St Lorcan’s 3rd match was against Clonburris in Glenaulin Park.

St Lorcan’s came into the match with high confidence after winning their last two matches. St Lorcan’s started off slow but at the end of the half they were awarded a penalty which was scored by Daragh Garrigan. At half time, Lorcan’s were 4 points down. Mr. Graydon and Ms. McLoughlin made a serious team talk to get the boys going. Lorcan’s came out much stronger in the second half and quickly it was back to a draw. Goals from Sean Carey, Aaron McMahon and Daragh Garrigan put Lorcan’s 7 points clear. In the last minute of the game, Lorcan’s were awarded a second penalty. Daragh Garrigan stepped up to score his third goal of the game. The referee blew his whistle and the game was over and St Lorcan’s were absolutely delighted with the result. Lorcan’s won by ten points and went home delighted with themselves.


Written by Seán McDonnell & Daragh Garrigan.



St Lorcan’s last match was against Gaelscoil Coolock in The Oval. There was a strong wind which made it hard for Lorcan’s to score in the first half. The wind favoured Coolock in the first half which gave them a seven point lead coming in to the break. Ms. McLoughlin and Mr. Graydon were not happy with the performance so far in this game.

Lorcan’s started off much better in the second half with a goal from Ciarán Deegan and points from Sean McDonnell and Daragh Garrigan, which meant that Coolock were only two points up. With five minutes left, the two teams were only two points apart. In the last minute of the match, St Lorcan’s got a free kick to try and win the game. Daragh Garrigan took the free kick. Lorcan’s needed a goal to win the game. Daragh Garrigan took the shot but it was blocked on the line by the Coolock defenders and they cleared it away. The full time whistle was blown and St Lorcan’s lost by two points. Lorcan’s were sad with the result but Mr. Graydon and Ms. McLoughlin were happy with the way Lorcan’s preformed.



Written by Seán McDonnell & Daragh Garrigan.